Ring Main Unit Remote Control and Automation Project
• LPN operate and manage the UK's capital city electrical
- Around 2 Million customer connections
- LPN's distribution area covers some 665km2
- Mostly densely populated region covering sensitive sites.
• To meet and exceed the regulators requirements.
• Improve quality of supply
- Supply security.
- Customer Interruptions (CI's).
- Customer Minutes Lost (CML). • Reduce overheads.
• Remote Control Introduced 1998 • In
2002 nearly 5000 Distribution Substations fitted with
full remote control.
Actual Results •
Installation of over 5000 units. • Most secure
electricity supply in the UK. • In the last
5 years, remote control alone has saved 20 Customer Minutes
Lost per Annum. • Automatic Switching logic
introduced in 2001 - Most customers have interruptions
of less than 3 minutes. • 60% of customers
affected by HV faults are restored within 30 minutes.
- Note: LPN has 13,000 distribution substations around
5300 are automated.
R.C. Network Performance
Future • L.E's Options:
-Increase number of Zones.
-Second stage restoration by using intermediate remotes.
-Logic at normal open points
-Improve communications speed.
-Introduce dynamic network reconfiguration.
References • Ofgem - 2001/02
Electricity Distribution Quality of Supply Report - June
• CIRED 2003 - A Case Study of Extensive
MV Automation in London.